Contestants are encouraged to cheat by eating lots of delicious garlicky food before entering the Garlic Breath Contest. Started in 2012 and the first garlic festival in the world to use a gas chromatograph to measure garlic breath, contestants’ breath is measured in the parts-per-billion of three crucial garlic elements — Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S), Methanethiol, and Dimethyl Sulphide. A prize is awarded to the contestant with the highest reading of H2S (that is, with the strongest garlic breath).
The contents of the prize are:
- $100 value gift card to a Live Green Perks participating restaurant
- 1 Ontario garlic skin pendant
- 1 signed copy of Ontario Garlic: From Farm to Festival (Arcadia Press)
- Baker’s dozen Ontario heirloom garlic bulbs
- 1 Toronto Garlic Festival Official apron
- 1 Live Green Toronto swag bag
Prize value: $250.00
2018 – Janelle D. Reading of 288 ppb parts per billion of Hydrogen Sulphide. 2017 – Helen A. Reading of 288 parts per billion of Hydrogen Sulphide. 2016 – Alison F. Reading of 457 ppb parts per billion of Hydrogen Sulphide.